Fulton is a University College serving the islands of the South Pacific Offering degrees and diplomas in Business, Education and Theology and certificates in Foundation Studies to some 350 students.
Establishment: John E Fulton, a pioneer missionary to Fiji, believed that the greatest contribution a missionary could ever make was to train indigenous workers. In February 1905, freehold land was rented at Buresala, Ovalau, for the establishment of this institution and the transfer of operations of the Mission. A house was moved from Suvavou to Buresala and converted in two units the Mission Superintendent John Fulton living in one half and the Principal Septimus Carr living in the other half.
Expansion: As the Church grew on the main island, Viti Levu, a school was opened at Navuso in the Wainibuka Valley. In 1924, the Teacher Training program was transferred from Buresala to Navuso. The Indian School in Samabula, Suva, also introduced at Teacher Training program in 1939.
Consolidation: With rising educational standards and the need to consolidate training programs, the Church voted to relocate the institution to a more centralized property. In 1940, under the leadership of Pr Arthur Dyason, the institution was relocated to a 400 acre property 50 km from Suva. It was renamed Fulton Missionary School in honor of this visionary pioneer.
Recognition: Soon after the establishment of the University of the South Pacific, Fulton was recognized by the Fiji Government as a Secondary Education and 3 yr. Diploma in Theology were introduced.
Transition: As the Church expanded in Papua New Guinea, a decision was made to develop a new senior training institution near Port Moresby, now known as Pacific Adventist University. Degree programs were established and in 1984 the Diploma programs were transferred from Fulton.
Accreditation: The Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist Schools, Colleges and Universities [AAA] first accredited Fulton in 1987. This was followed soon after by the South Pacific Association of Theological Schools [SPATS] accrediting the Diploma in Theology in 1989 and in 2012 the Fiji Higher Education Commission accredited Fulton as a University College. Documents have been submitted for the accreditation of its degrees and diplomas in Business, Education and Theology and a certificate in Foundation Studies.
Relocation: Following more than a decade of land insecurity, Fulton has finally relocated to this new campus at Sabeto, just 10 minutes from Nadi International Airport. The complex was opened on the 12th of February, 2014 by Dr. Ted N C Wilson and the Fiji Minister of Education, Ambassador Filipe Bole and a new Student enrolment commenced on 12 March 2014.
Fulton College is a member of a world-wide chain of institutions owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist church. With its location in Fiji it comes under the administration of the Trans Pacific Union of Seventh-day Adventists.
Fulton College has been educating people since 1940. Throughout its history the college has upheld the ideals and principles of Christian education by promoting a program of balanced personal development. Its graduates can be found throughout the Pacific and in many other parts of the world. The educational services of the college span the island countries of: Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Vanuatu, and the Solomon Islands. Its services are also offered to Pacific islanders, and other interested individuals, living in Australia, New Zealand and elsewhere.
Fulton College endeavors to prepare men and women for service to mankind thus fulfilling its mission. Fulton College is committed to its mission, that is, to provide a tertiary education in a Christian environment through quality instruction and to empower men and women of the Pacific Islands to achieve excellence in academic studies and professional training for service to island communities.
Recognised and Registered by the Fiji Higher Education Commission as a University College.